Saturday, September 15, 2012

Is This an Apology or an Acknowledgement?

Is this following post an apology? If there are any conservatives reading this, please let me know what you think because sometimes it seems that an apology is in the eye of the beholder, a matter of perception.

I'd like to take this opportunity to extend to my fellow countrymen, who happen to be conservative, the same consideration and courtesy that I do to those Muslims from other countries that are at odds with us.
When I reread my last blog post I realized that I can be just as incendiary towards conservatives (many of whom are my friends and family members) as what I criticize them for being.

I acknowledge and agree with many of the grievances conservatives have regarding the behavior of certain Muslims throughout the world.
As a liberal and an agnostic, I am very troubled by much of this behavior. Especially the lack of restraint in the use of violence when expressing anger. (I think US military policy should practice more restraint as well)
Killings, the persecution of other religious groups, the treatment women, gays and dissenters are all things that are much worse, by far, than anything I've ever accused conservatives of. (except maybe the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan)

I've often noted the similarities between the mind set and behavior of the unbalanced ultra-conservative religious fundamentalists of Islam and that of our own conservatives.
But let me say this, I'll take good old American unbalanced ultra-conservative religious fundamentalists over those foreign ones any day of the week. That's because they've been tempered and shaped by good old American liberals.

If you think about it, conservatives and liberals in this country basically agree on our ultimate goals. We just disagree on how to get there. I think that conservatives have about a third of it correct. Liberals have about a third correct. And the other third is yet to be decided.

One of the things we disagree about is what constitutes an apology.
So if any conservatives are reading this and would like to tell me whether they think that this post is an apology, I'd appreciate it. If I can know what your perception is I will reveal my intention and see if they match.

In the meantime, I will compose my 'apology' for apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment